Re: .info files

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: .info files
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 18:14:45 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Won't these filenames fail on DOS?
>>
>> calc.info
>> calc.info-1
>> calc.info-2
>
> "Fail" in what way?  Can you be more specific about the problems you
> envision, especially in the context of visiting Info files with
> commands such as "C-x C-f" or similar?
>
> Btw, these files don't exist in the Emacs's info/ directory.

Fail in the sense that 8+3 filenames can't have more than 3 characters
in the +3 part of the filename.  So they can't be part of the Emacs
tarball if we want to preserve 8+3 compatibility.

I think you missed out on a couple of messages.  What we're discussing
is adding a .info extension to the info files in Emacs (which apparently
means .info-N extensions for multi-part info files).