Re: .info files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: .info files
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 14:28:44 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 18:14:45 +0800
>
> Fail in the sense that 8+3 filenames can't have more than 3 characters
> in the +3 part of the filename.  So they can't be part of the Emacs
> tarball if we want to preserve 8+3 compatibility.

That's right.

> I think you missed out on a couple of messages.

I definitely did, sorry.

> What we're discussing is adding a .info extension to the info files
> in Emacs (which apparently means .info-N extensions for multi-part
> info files).

Doing so is indeed incompatible with MS-DOS.

But wasn't this discussion about visiting Info files in Info mode
automatically?  If so, instead of renaming file to .info*, I think
it's much better and more robust to detect the telltale first line,
viz.:

  This is FOO, produced by makeinfo version X.Y.Z from BAR

That's because nothing forces Info files to have the .info extension.
In fact, the Texinfo package itself distributes Info files 'texinfo',
'texinfo-1', etc.