Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display

From: 黄建忠
Subject: Re: A patch for enforcing double-width CJK character display
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:00:49 +0800

于 2012年04月17日 10:30, Miles Bader 写道:
黄建忠<address@hidden>  writes:
case 1: size = 13
ASCII:  Lucida Sans Typewriter  [9 pix per char]
CJK:    さざなみ明朝          [12 pix per char]

case 2: size = 11
ASCII:  Lucida Sans Typewriter  [7 pix per char]
CJK:    さざなみ明朝          [10 pix per char]
1, If you use Sans font as default font, the patch will just ignore it
and never adjust the width padding , since it is wrong setting.

2, For Sans font, it's variable pitch, every glyph in the font is
different width.
It's "Lucida Sans Typewriter", which is a fixed-pitch font.

So I'm wondering how you get the pixelsize of fonts?
I used "xzoom" to magnify the display, and counted the pixels... :]

Wow :-D
But a wrong way to get pixelsize:-(

You have a very BIG BIG BIG misunderstanding of "glyph pixelsize".

Font glyph may leave space around it, so the pixelsize of a font reported by font rendering subsystem is not just as what it looks, the space already there should not be dropped.

I explained it when I tried "kiloji" font. as your assumption, the "kiloji" font would have a big problem with this fix, but it didn't.

-miles

--
Huang JianZhong