Re: bug#7637: 24.0.50; Caps Lock triggers set-mark-command

From: Karl Ljungkvist
Subject: Re: bug#7637: 24.0.50; Caps Lock triggers set-mark-command
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:01:20 +0000 (UTC)

David De La Harpe Golden <david <at> harpegolden.net> writes:

> On 20/12/10 15:32, Chong Yidong wrote:
> > A user has reported that under a certain KDE setting, Caps Lock breaks
> > Emacs by making every motion key a shift-motion key, thus breaking the
> > shift-selection feature.  Does anyone have KDE installed to test this?
> >

> Certainly KDE has:
> System Settings -> Personal -> Regional & Language
> -> Keyboard Layout -> Advanced
> -> CapsLock key behaviour
> -> CapsLock toggles Shift so all keys are affected
>
> (and a bunch of other options)
>
> i.e. It makes the caps lock key a true "shift lock", but it works "as
> intended" AFAICS - cursor keys will in effect be shifted (and therefore
> sweep out selections) when the shiftlock is on, and not when the
> shiftlock is off. (tested). On my machine, when active, both the caps
> lock and scroll lock LEDs are lit when the "shift lock" is activated.
>
> It's essentially equivalent to something you can do on the command line
> with setxkbmap, in fact the settings dialog prints the command line it's
> using at the bottom e.g.
> setxkbmap -option caps:shiftlock
>
> My understanding is that it's a chording-avoidance accessibility
> feature, and there's little emacs can or should do about it. KDE Kate
> and other X11 apps are affected in the same way as emacs, unsurprisingly.
>
> If you want normal caps lock behaviour, i.e. letters are capitalised but
> other stuff isn't shifted, then, er, leave it as a caps lock, not a
> shift lock.

I'm also experiencing this problem on Ubuntu 12.04 using Gnome and Xmonad. As
far as I can remember, this configurations has had this behavior for at least
three years. I just checked, and it is not related to the shiftlock. There is an
option in the gnome keyboard layout settings and it's *off*.

So far I've fixed this using a number of set-key's:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-S-p") 'previous-line)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-S-n") 'next-line)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-S-f") 'forward-char)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-S-b") 'backward-char)
etc.

This seems to work, but it's ugly and I don't think the original behavior was
intended. I would be very happy to see a fix of this.