Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:59:40 +0800

Tom <address@hidden> writes:

> So it looks like it would be suitable for smaller projects too and
> apparently people do use it to fund software projects like this one
> which aims to create a better coffeescript compiler

So far, I haven't seen much call from individual Emacs developers for
financial support, but individual developers (e.g. of third-party
packages) can always set up their own donations mechanism, rather than
using Kickstarter, which as far as I can tell is just a way to funnel
money to Kickstarter Inc and Amazon (who take a whopping 10% cut from
donations).  Their PR campaign sure is impressive, though.

If there is interest in funding anything at the Emacs project level, the
FSF has set up a mechanism for donating to individual GNU packages,
currently used by GNU Octave and GNU Telephony; see

  https://my.fsf.org/associate/donate/working-together

But, as I said, I don't currently see much need.  (OT: I believe
Octave's maintainer is supported by donations, so I strongly encourage
anyone who uses that software to donate.)