Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: aaditya sood
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:04:41 +0000 (UTC)

Ivan Andrus <darthandrus <at> gmail.com> writes:

>How much would it cost me to get the python modes combined into one?
>Ideally being backwards compatible with your python-mode of choice.
>This is a perfect project I think because it's a large initial
>undertaking but no additional maintenance work would be necessary once
>it's done.  If nothing else we could use the money to pay people to
>not use different modes.

I would happily contribute $200 towards project for out-of-box python
completion and structure parsing. Semantic and cedet, while great, are
slow for large projects and make emacs perceptively slow.

>Really good support for multiple modes is another that would get lots
>of backers I think.  I certainly don't have the expertise to even
>speculate on how hard it would be, but I would be willing to pitch in
>some money for it if I thought it would actually get done well.  I say
>that not to disparage mmm-mode and friends, but I think it has to be
>taken into account at a very low level.

This is another pet peeve. Especially for writing html with css,
javascript and mako.  nxhtml-mode is pretty cool, but again makes
emacs slow. I'd like some support in core emacs, which would be
hopefully faster.

--
aaditya