Suggestion / feature request

From: Carlos Aguilar
Subject: Suggestion / feature request
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:28:51 +0200

Hi everybody,
I am a heavy user of doc-view mode and more generally of emacs, so first of all big thanks to all the developers for their contributions to this unique piece of software.

I write to the list to ask whether an idea I have had could be implemented and/or would be useful.

I often use doc-view mode with medium to large pdf/ps/dvi files, when writing/modifying latex documents. Whether these are slides or a document with or without chapters, my modification often just change a small amount of pages. This is almost always the case for slides as they are independent. For documents there are changes typically in the last page in small documents, or those between the point in which I am and the end of the associated chapter. As the conversion process creates an image for every page in each iteration most of the processing is useless (it regenerates images of pages that already exist).

I wondered if it would be possible to keep a set of signatures of the pdf/ps/dvi pages processed so that those that are unchanged are not reconverted to (already existing) bitmap images.

Best,

Carlos Aguilar