Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:04:41 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:

>     Maybe it should be a simple feature voting system from the user side,
>
> I don't think it is worth the trouble.  When maintainers would like
> guidance from users about features, it is easy enough for them to ask
> the users.

It's not about getting feature ideas. It's about getting an idea
about how much people want a certain feature implemented to find
out if it's worth to start a fundraising project for that feature.

If we had a feature voting system then we'd have a top list of
the most wanted features which are most likely to get funded by users
if a fundraising is started.

So when Emacs users/developers come up with a feature idea and after
discussing on this list it seems like a worthwhile idea then it could
be entered into this idea listing system and users could vote on this
and other ideas to create the list of most wanted unimplemented
features (like multithreading, etc.)