Re: why does `variable-at-point' return 0?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: why does `variable-at-point' return 0?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 22:24:13 -0400

>> That's most likely the reason, so as not to get tripped up by a variable
>> whose name happens to be "nil" (unlikely in Lisp, admittedly).
> AFAIK, in "nil-lisps" like Elisp or Common Lisp that is not unlikely,
> but impossible.

In the context of the discussion, the difference between "unlikely" and
"impossible" is irrelevant.

> Could you explain what you had in mind?

I work in formal methods, and from that point of view, "impossible"
would basically mean you have a proof that it can't happen, yet in
languages like Lisp "can't happen" is pretty much ... "unlikely"?

        Stefan