Re: Version strings in lisp files?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Version strings in lisp files?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:28:32 +0200

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> That's nice.  If you still want to tag something as really minor, you
> can go with 7.9.0.1, for example.

I hope I'll never have to go that road..

> [CONTEXT SWITCH]
>
> Btw, we can consider starting a etc/ORG-NEWS directory (much along the
> lines of ERC-NEWS, GNUS-NEWS, MH-E-NEWS and NXML-NEWS)

This is not only something to consider -- it's mandatory.
I have just pushed a preliminary version of ORG-NEWS to etc/
in Org's repor (master branch.)

But it needs more love: sorting by version is *not* clever.

We should try to sort out by important new features, incompatible
changes, important bug fixes.  We have to do this for Org since...
6.33x -- sigh.

> If it is too much of a hassle, ORG-NEWS could start out empty or very
> minimal.  No doubt there is plenty of ORG-NEWS already for the next
> Emacs-24.1+ releases.
>
> This will necessitate a ORG-NEWS in Org's repo as well.

If you can help sending patches against ORG-NEWS, that would be
highly appreciated!

--
 Bastien