Re: Would you like to work on improving Emacs full time?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Would you like to work on improving Emacs full time?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:28:57 +0200

Tom <address@hidden> writes:

> Do you have a specific feature in mind or you would pick some
> popular feature from a list of popular requests?

I would create a features wishlist for Org-mode, which I currently
maintain, then pick up the most requested feature that I'm able to
write.

> It is the developer's task to choose a project which interests
> him and which he's capable to do. So as a developer what do
> you (and others who expressed interest) need to make this
> decision? I'm asking this to clarify what is needed to push the
> cart forward.
>
> Do you need this list of features to make it easier to choose
> one? William promised in this thread to update the EmacsWiki
> wishlist soon. Would it be enough for you to pick a feature
> to implement?

See above: I would first create a specific feature for Org.
I doubt this will be enough for a kickstarter-like model, but
I may find financial support in other ways.

The reason why I'm interested in this discussion is that spending
5-10 hours a week contributing to Org/Emacs can be a hobby while
you have a steady job.  Once you are a freelance, "free" time does
not mean the same, because "free" time is always time you *could*
spend on doing something paid.

I'll be a freelance starting from June.

--
 Bastien