Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:01:13 -0400

>> The problem still remains: what would be the benefit?
> I must confess this is difficult for me to express, simply because
> it's something I've taken for granted for so long; it's like being
> asked why I like garbage collection. Anyhow, the most obvious benefit
> would be that you have a chance at writing code that you know will
> function correctly while run concurrently. =)

I'm an academic working in functional programming and type systems, so
you don't have to convince me of the general virtues of
side-effect-free code.

So my question is specifically in the context of Emacs where you need to
balance the theoretical benefits against the downsides (mostly
incompatibilities and efforts that could be spent elsewhere).

        Stefan