Re: proposal to make null string handling more emacs-y

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: proposal to make null string handling more emacs-y
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 23:45:31 -0500

Steve Yegge <address@hidden> writes:
>Before you reject the idea out of hand, I'd like to ask that you
>consider carefully
>what behavior would be most consistent with the rest of Emacs, and
>would make
>best use of existing debugging and diagnostic facilities.
>
>Compared to lexical scoping, this change is pretty minor. ;-)
>
>-steve
>
>p.s. (string= nil "") would still yield nil, of course.  I'm proposing
>that we treat nil
>as the empty string, not the other way around.

Have you tried making the change in a dev tree and seeing what the first
things to break are?

I'm not sold on the idea anyway, I have to admit -- that "wrong-type"
error has been a valuable source of early bug detection for me many
times -- but the above seems like a worthwhile experiment for those who
like the proposal and want to investigate it.

-K