Re: DVCSes, bug trackers, and GNUness

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: DVCSes, bug trackers, and GNUness
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:50:49 -0400

2012/4/25 Karl Fogel <address@hidden>:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
>>> I'd rather not discuss the Bzr decision.
>>
>>No, let's. Because I know you're tired of it, and I know why you are:
>>It's the decision everyone hated but taken only because of GNUness.
>>
>>I want a similar decision for the BTS. If it's about GNUness, then
>>stop using debbugs. Technical merits don't matter, right? That's
>>what everyone said about bzr. So, if technical merits don't matter,
>>I want you to force everyone to stop using debbugs, no matter how
>>painful it is, and to start working with me on fixing Savane.
>
> No one ever said that technical merits don't matter.  What several
> people, including Richard, said was that all other things being
> equal -- or close enough to equal -- then Emacs should go with the
> GNU project. That criterion was certainly met with Bzr.

Okay, so I'm getting a consistent message that if I want people to
prefer Savane over debbugs, I need to first make sure Savane can have
an email and SOAP interface. Is this accurate? Then it's a GNU project
with comparable features to debbugs, so then there will be no reason
to keep using debbugs. Am I understanding this correctly?

- Jordi G. H.