Re: Does CEDET work?

From: Philipp Haselwarter
Subject: Re: Does CEDET work?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:13:34 +0200

On Thu, Apr 26 2012 20:26 (@1335464766), Lennart Borgman wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 20:14, Philipp Haselwarter <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     This is what most of the folks that see me using Emacs for C code (which
>     is arguably the language best supported by CEDET) want to have for
>     /their/ setup. Apart from a functioning CEDET, auto-complete is *very*
>     appealing visually and a for many (novice-) users a more attractive way
>     to be presented with context-completion than a completion-buffer
>     (actually the interface is provided by popup.el). It'd be nice to have
>     this in stock Emacs.
>
>     As Eric has pointed out himself, the entry barrier is quite high though
>     and support for other languages often requires difficult customizations
>     (if possible at all).
>
>     A better integration by default for some of the most-used languages
>     would increase Emacs's usefulness tremendously for the majority of
>     people writing code, which in my understanding is the main purpose of
>     Emacs.
>
> The CEDET framework is there, but the support for a language could be
> on many levels. Is there somewhere a table over the support for
> different languages?

There is, at http://cedet.sourceforge.net/languagesupport.shtml

I just caught up on the cedet-ml and saw that the newtrunk branch got
merged (yay!).  This could be a Big Thing if it means that integration
and accessibility become an Emacs issue (as opposed to a
not-an-emacs-but-someone-other-package's-issue).

--
Philipp Haselwarter