Re: Google Drive

From: chad
Subject: Re: Google Drive
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 10:48:12 -0700

On May 1, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Thomas Lord wrote:

> Are there any free software packages that
> provide functionality like DropBox or GoogleDrive?
> Are there any companies that sell the utility
> service of hosting that software, with
> freedom-respecting terms of service and security
> features such as optional encryption of stored
> data?

I know some people at MIT were working on such a thing, based on SUNDR (paper
attached), but I'm far enough out of touch that I couldn't tell you if it was
going to go anywhere. That group is pro-free-software, but when I last heard,
they were primarily concerned with the (frankly terrible) security implications
of DropBox, Box.net, MS SkyDrive, et al.

*Chad