Re: .info files

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: .info files
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 12:16:00 -0700

On 05/04/2012 02:32 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I still don't understand why this should bother anyone except
myself.

Not two hours ago I was impeded in Emacs development by
the MS-DOS support.  The problem in this case was that
MS-DOS 8.3 file name limits do not allow two different files named
"gnulib-common.m4" and "gnulib-comp.m4", and this causes a
wrinkle in our mainstream build procedures.  In merging
some of my old patches this wrinkle caused a build to fail,
which took some time to figure out.

That's just one example, of course, but there are others.
The point is that the hassle of supporting MS-DOS does
impede other Emacs developers, and this cost needs to be
weighed against the benefit of supporting MS-DOS.

I agree with Glenn that the 24.1 release announcement
would be a good time to take stock of the need to support
Emacs on older platforms.