Re: Printing

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Printing
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 10:04:51 +0900

>> Perhaps I'll work a bit locally first, starting with adding a new
>> type of (output-only) graphical terminal for printing.  The idea is
>> to add a printing support via cairo without being tied with a
>> particular window system.
>>
>> Is anyone already working for supporting multiple types of
>> graphical terminals simultaneously?

> Is Cairo enough to make a general printing system? Should not the
> abstraction be on a higher level so that different OS:es can be
> supported?

Actually, the primary motivation of introducing a cairo terminal was
to support the generation of PDF data from the buffer contents
directly using the Emacs redisplay engine, even from a tty session
(i.e., without X server running), rather than supporting multiple
window systems.  Showing a print dialog, sending the output to a
printer, etc. will need another library or something, perhaps in a
window-system dependent way.

Do you possibly have some idea of "abstraction on a higher level"?

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden