Re: BEGIN_SRC..END_SRC

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: BEGIN_SRC..END_SRC
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 20:47:41 -0400

On Tue, 08 May 2012 08:17:37 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> 1- [org-mode source markup]'s ugly.

I sort of agree, and like the JIRA {code:LANGUAGE} ... {code} markup
better.  Visually they are very clean.

SM> 2- it does make the code harder to read.
SM> Separators like "---------------------" work much better in this
SM> respect, because they don't contain words and so they're much more
SM> easily abstracted away by your "eyes".

The problem with those separators is just that they say nothing about
the contents, so the presenter (MUA) has to guess the content type,
which requires some parsing and can easily result in a wrong guess.

If you are going to ask emacs-devel posters not to use org-mode markup,
go ahead.  A better alternative may be to consider it an individual
choice, like quoting with spaces ala RMS or using Supercite
initial-based quotes as I do.  On the Gnus side it would be nice to
start recognizing Markdown and JIRA source code markup, which would make
the org-mode markup less necessary.  And maybe the other Emacs-based
MUAs could reuse whatever code interprets the markup, so it would be
good to write it as a parser.

In the context of an Emacs markup parser library, do you agree or would
you rather I keep the work only on the Gnus side?  And is there an
existing library to do this job?  I'm not aware of one.

Thanks!
Ted