Re: BEGIN_SRC..END_SRC

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: BEGIN_SRC..END_SRC
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 07:35:36 -0400

On Wed, 09 May 2012 12:50:20 +0900 Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

MB> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> The problem with those separators is just that they say nothing about
>> the contents, so the presenter (MUA) has to guess the content type,
>> which requires some parsing and can easily result in a wrong guess.

MB> Why it important for the MUA to know the content type of embedded code
MB> snippets?

So they can be colored properly, mostly.  I can imagine other uses like
saving, parsing, and a "run this" buttong for Emacs Lisp code, but it's
presentational so far.

MB> AFAICT, this sort of feature stems more from "OMGWIBN" ("OMG, wouldn't
MB> it be neat!") syndrome than actual demand...

You know we're talking about Gnus, right?

In any case, there is demand, at least 10 users like the markup and use
it, including myself.  We don't want to bother with MIME for short snippets.

MB> Given the lack of actual demand, even a minor impact on readability is
MB> too much.  [The current behavior of Gnus, certainly, is just awful in
MB> this respect -- not only are the delimiters ugly and detrimental to
MB> readability, but so is the visual highlighting (on my system, a wacky
MB> bright green color) that seems to be the only thing Gnus does with
MB> it...!]

The coloring is done by whatever mode is used for whatever language is
specified in the markup.  So the green color is your fault ;)

The key question is, do you disagree with any delimiters, including the
JIRA {code:LANGUAGE} ... {code} markers?  So far most people have said
the org-mode markers specifically are ugly, but some kind of marker is
OK.  So in my followup to Stefan Monnier I proposed a parser library to
identify markup generically.

On Wed, 09 May 2012 07:45:41 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

EZ> FYI: That's not "quoting ala RMS", that's simply the default quoting
EZ> style of Rmail.

OK; my point was that it's unusual and only RMS uses it in this
newsgroup or anywhere else I've seen in mailing lists or newsgroups, so
it's unique in that context.

Ted