Re: Magit slow on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Magit slow on Windows
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 08:53:26 +0300

> From: Kevin Yu <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 13:46:53 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Which is what? msysgit or the Cygwin git?
>
> msysgit.

Then I think this is wrong: you should see

  c:/git/bin/git.exe

Invoking git through a Windows shell script incurs an unnecessary
slowdown.  You should start Emacs from the shell that knows about the
msysgit installation, to get correct behavior.

But I'm not sure this will solve your problem.  The Windows filesystem
is slower than Linux filesystems, especially with a cold cache, and
nothing, not even Emacs, can change that.

If indeed invoking git from eshell is much faster (and not an artifact
of your testing, since a warm cache makes a world of difference), then
I suggest to try to find out what does eshell do differently from
magit.