Re: `quit_char', `set-quit-char', and `set-input-mode'

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: `quit_char', `set-quit-char', and `set-input-mode'
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 11:57:47 +0200

() "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
() Fri, 11 May 2012 16:55:46 -0700

   I'm guessing there are good reasons for some or all of
   these things - reasons that would help me understand
   better.  Explanation appreciated.

I ported Emacs 22 to VMS a while back, and fuzzily remember
playing w/ this corner (changing things to see what breaks).
Based on this, i would say these things are the way they are
primarily due to tradition (C-g ≡ ASCII BEL, which makes a
‘ding’, uncoincidentally) and inertia (no one has bothered
{ration,gener}alizing things further).  That is also a guess.