Re: Proposal: block-based vector allocator

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: Proposal: block-based vector allocator
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 11:58:28 +0400

On 04/26/2012 10:01 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I've tried a few designs of block-based vector allocation, and this is
the first one which looks good enough to be proposed here.

I'd like to install something like that for Emacs-24.2, and as the trunk
is open again for new features, we can do it "any time now".

So, please send your latest code to emacs-devel, so we can review it one
more time before installation.

OK

As mentioned earlier, the main point of your patch is to reduce the use
of mem_nodes, so please keep the patch as simple as possible for now,
focusing on just reducing the use of mem_nodes.

IIRC from the previous discussions, you're suggesting rounding-up allocator
for the sake of simplicity and better speed; I'm still voting for exact-fit
allocator with splitting/coalescing, for the sake of best possible memory
utilization. It would be helpful to get a broader discussion on this.

Dmitry