Re: Edebug & lexical scope

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Edebug & lexical scope
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 14:51:53 -0400

> AFAIK, currently it is not possible to see values of lexical variables in a
> particular stack frame, in normal debugger, right ? We can just press "e"
> and evaluate something, but during this evaluation all the dynamic variables
> will hold the same values as they hold in the topmost stack frame (where
> we're suspended).

Indeed, there is no current feature to execute in a particular
stack frame.  In most cases this doesn't matter much in the case of
dynamic scoping; even in those cases where a later binding hides an
earlier one it's very frequent that both bindings have the exact same
value (typically an argument passed through a few levels of function
calls, with the same name at each stage).

With lexical scoping, this becomes more important.
Actually a good eval-in-stack-frame might even want to first undo the
corresponding let-bindings as well as save-excursions and friends, but
it would require more significant changes.

        Stefan