post-self-insert-hook and last-command:

From: T.V. Raman
Subject: post-self-insert-hook and last-command:
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 16:20:40 -0700

I'm trying to use post-self-insert-hook to speak characters as
they are typed in emacspeak --- rather than what I have done for
the last 18 years which was to execute emacspeak's own
emacspeak-self-insert-command.  It all works (almost) -- except
that the speech feedback is called in situations other than  when
the user executes self-insert-command. The usual emacspeak
technique of advising has never worked for this case since
self-insert-command is a builtin.

So to limit the calling of speech feedback to cases of
self-insert-command,
I added a test at the top of my speech feedback function  of the
form
(eq last-command self-insert-command)
but this doesn't work -- since last-command gets apparently gets
set after post-self-insert-hook gets run --- at least that is my
guess based on what I observe:

With post-self-insert-hook set to call speech feedback if
(eq last-command self-insert-command) I  dont hear spoken
feedback for the first invocation of self-insert-command.