Re: ABI incompatibilities with MinGW GCC 4.7.0

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ABI incompatibilities with MinGW GCC 4.7.0
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 09:59:47 +0300

> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 11:10:20 +0800
>
> Has anyone actually tried?

I don't know.  I didn't.  I still hope that the MinGW GCC maintainer
will respond to the thread with the authoritative information about
the ABI changes.

> As far as I can see, it should only affect interfaces that use bitfields, and
> C++.

That's the only specific ABI changes mentioned in the announcement,
yes.  But the announcement said "in particular", which might mean
there are other incompatible ABI changes; my question about that did
not get any responses except "don't know".  In addition, the MinGW GCC
maintainer said in a GCC forum that there are other ABI
incompatibilities beyond the bitfields, which he will publish "later";
AFAICS, that didn't happen yet.

> All the libraries that Emacs uses are Free software, so can be
> rebuilt with the same compiler if neccesary.

Of course.  But if the incompatibilities are real, and cannot be
removed by using some compiler switches, it would mean that we will
need 2 incompatible versions of each library, and will have to cope with
bugs caused by users who install the wrong version.