Re: addpm.exe missing from installation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: addpm.exe missing from installation
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:03:03 +0300

> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 08:39:30 -0600
> From: Christoph Scholtes <address@hidden>
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> When building and checking the binary distribution for Emacs 24.1 I
> noticed that addpm.exe was missing from the bin directory.
>
> This was introduced in the following change (and has slipped through the
> cracks in subsequent pretest builds since 24.0.95):
>
> revno: 107676
> committer: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> branch nick: trunk
> timestamp: Sun 2012-03-25 20:17:46 +0200
> message:
>    Fix parallel "make install" on MS-Windows.
>
>     nt/makefile.w32-in (install-bin): Don't copy addpm.exe here.
>
> [snip]
>

> The install-bin target should install all binary files in the bin folder
> (incl. addpm.exe), while install-shortcuts should just _invoke_
> addpm.exe to install the shortcuts.

Sorry, I don't follow: aren't you invoking "make install"?  If not,
what Make command are you using that doesn't work?

The change I made moved addpm.exe installation from install-bin to
install-shortcuts, both of which are run by "make install".  The full
log entry reads:

        * makefile.w32-in (install-bin): Don't copy addpm.exe here.  Use
        $(DIRNAME)_same-dir.tst instead of same-dir.tst, to avoid stepping
        on other (parallel) Make job's toes.
        (install-other-dirs-nmake, install-other-dirs-gmake): Depend on `all'.
        (install-shortcuts): Depend on $(INSTALL_DIR)/bin.  Copy addpm.exe
        here.
        (maybe-copy-distfiles-CMD, maybe-copy-distfiles-SH, dist): Depend
        on create-tmp-dist-dir.

So copying of addpm.exe wasn't just removed, it was moved.  Granted, I
tested the change, and it worked for me.

In general, addpm.exe is not needed, unless one wants to create or
update the shortcuts, which is why I didn't hesitate to move that
command (in its previous place, it interfered with parallel execution
of "make install", which was the motivation for the change).