Re: addpm.exe missing from installation

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Re: addpm.exe missing from installation
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:11:17 -0600

On 6/10/2012 10:03 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Sorry, I don't follow: aren't you invoking "make install"?  If not,
what Make command are you using that doesn't work?

No. When creating the binary distribution, I do not want to install the shortcuts in my start menu. That was the main reason for creating the install-bin target to allow to create an in-place installation from which a distribution can be created without creating the shortcuts. make install will run make install-bin and then install-shortcuts, so we get the normal, expected behavior including shortcuts.

The change I made moved addpm.exe installation from install-bin to
install-shortcuts, both of which are run by "make install".

[snip]

So copying of addpm.exe wasn't just removed, it was moved.  Granted, I
tested the change, and it worked for me.

It does work indeed for make install, but make install-bin does not work anymore as intended.

In general, addpm.exe is not needed, unless one wants to create or
update the shortcuts, which is why I didn't hesitate to move that
command (in its previous place, it interfered with parallel execution
of "make install", which was the motivation for the change).

We should include it in the binary distribution, right?

Christoph