Re: Compatibility problem with emacs 24.1 / GDB 6.3.50?

From: Kaushik Srenevasan
Subject: Re: Compatibility problem with emacs 24.1 / GDB 6.3.50?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:44:12 -0700

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Charles Tucker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Caveat: I'm running on OS X (which ships with emacs 22.1 and gdb 6.3.50).
> Newer versions grabbed / installed via Mac Homebrew, which may configure
> things funny.
>
> Filled with a desire to use more recent versions of tools, I've been using
> emacs 23.4 / gdb 6.3 successfully for a while now, but brew recently updated
> to emacs 24.1. The gdb mode under this new version spits out the following
> garbage output (spacing intact):

Emacs 24 uses the machine interface (MI) to talk to GDB. I don't think
GDB 6.3 has support for MI.
You can simply call Emacs' gdb function (M-x gdb) with the complete
path to your (newer) GDB installation (macports typically calls it
"ggdb" - /opt/bin/ggdb)

(gdb "/opt/bin/ggdb -i=mi [[ rest of the gdb command line ]]")

Note that -i=mi is what asks GDB to output MI commands that Emacs recognizes.

   -Kaushik