Re: feature request: view part of file

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: feature request: view part of file
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 18:53:12 +0200

> There's vlf.el.  I wish someone would take this on and develop it
> further.

Is it okay if I clean it up and put into the emacs tree, hooking up into
the "really open this huge file" dialog?

Be my guest, do what you like with it. As you can read in the comment section of the file I created vlf.el because I got kind of tired about hearing that same question over and over again. I had no real *personal* itch. Hence I got tired of it and kind of abandoned it after some experiments.

Do we have the papers for Mathias Dahl, the vlf author?

There should be papers for me from the time when Tumme/image-dired was included in Emacs.

Attached you can find my latest local version of vlf.el (working state unknown). The code should be quite clean. I get only one warning when byte compiling and only two warnings with checkdoc.

It would feel nice if something "real" finally came out of it. The basic mechanisms is quite simple. What Stefan mentions about hooking into isearch sounds wicked cool :)

/Mathias