RE: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108646: * minibuffer.el(read-fil

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108646: * minibuffer.el(read-file-name-default): Bind `non-essential' to `t'.
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:58:46 -0700

> > I think that for most users most of the time, the
> > completions shown by Icomplete act mainly as background help.
> > They are not "essential",
>
> AFAICT, the behavior in the test-case is the same with or
> without icomplete, so this is not about icomplete (and icomplete
> already sets non-essential, which indeed is the right thing to do).

Right.  Actually, it was I who reported the problem to Michael, which was this:

Without my hitting TAB to ask for completion, Icomplete was prompting for a
password as soon as I typed the `:' here:

 Find file in other window: /foo.bar.com:
                                        ^ This provoked prompt

It is normal and desirable for Tramp to ask for a password if the user hits TAB
and a connection has not yet been opened to the given host.  But not when the
user just types self-inserting chars such as `:'.  That was the point.

(Dunno whether it is relevant, but I am also using FTP as my default Tramp
method.)

Again, if some users do want Icomplete to be more eager and try to also provide
remote matches for connections that have not yet been opened, then let's add a
user option for this.