Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108646: * minibuffer.el(read-fil

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r108646: * minibuffer.el(read-file-name-default): Bind `non-essential' to `t'.
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:29:02 -0400

>> 1. I'm on Windows.  This is missing at the beginning of the recipe:
>>
>> M-x load-file c:/path/to/cygwin-mount.el
>> M-x load-file c:/path/to/setup-cygwin.el

> Nothing I could reproduce, I'm not on Windows.

>> 2. And you left this out, Michael:
>>
>> (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
>>
>> 3. And the last step is this (no ssh):
>>
>> C-x C-f /foobar.baztoto.com:
>> ^ Tramp asks for the password
>>

> OK, again on Ubuntu:

> src/emacs -Q

> (require 'icomplete)
> (setq icomplete-with-completion-tables
>       (append icomplete-with-completion-tables
>       '(read-file-name-internal)))
> (icomplete-mode 1)
> (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")

> C-x C-f /foobar.baztoto.com:
>                            ^ no problem so far

>                             <TAB>
>                             ^ nothing happens

>                             /
>                             ^ I get an error:

> Error in post-command-hook (#[nil \300\301!\207 [run-hooks
> icomplete-post-command-hook] 2]): (error "Command attempted to use
> minibuffer while in minibuffer")

> But that's another story. Problem in icomplete?

That "Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer" is
because icomplete triggered a Tramp connection which tried to use
the minibuffer to get a password.
So if you add (setq enable-recursive-minibuffers t) to the above recipe
you can reproduce the problem.

I don't think Tramp should attempt a connection in that case since
(according to M-x trace-function RET icomplete-completions) the password
prompt happens during the call to icomplete-completions which binds
non-essential to t.

        Stefan