Re: Aligned blocks management: obsolete?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Aligned blocks management: obsolete?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:10:33 +0300

> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:54:38 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden>
> CC: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>  Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> For example, attached code checks whether memalign tends to create holes
> while allocating (1024 - 8) blocks aligned at 1024-bytes boundary; optimal
> pad (BLOCK_PADDING in current code) may be detected with the similar way.

Is it possible to incorporate such tests into Emacs, and write some
Lisp to execute the tests and report the results?

I'm asking because it's hard to use this test as-is on MS-Windows,
since all of the related functions used by the Windows build are
reimplemented by Emacs sources, they are not in any system library,
and so linking a stand-alone test program is not easy.

TIA

P.S. If memory fragmentation is what you worry about, then doesn't
ralloc.c free us from this, on platforms that use it?