Re: Loading when viewing docstring of autoloaded function

From: Samuel Bronson
Subject: Re: Loading when viewing docstring of autoloaded function
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 11:47:00 -0400

On Jun 23, 2012, at 9:07 AM, Drew Adams wrote:

The most annoying aspect is that autoloaded functions often have
docstrings containing key substitution constructs, which are expanded
into `M-x FOO' because the relevant keymaps are not yet defined.

Let the user decide. Add a user option. Make your new behavior the default, if you like. But give users an easy way to choose not to load stuff just for doc strings. The code change is trivial - it costs nothing to give users a say.

How about just adding a "load module and rerender" button to the *Help* buffer in that case?

I've been annoyed by such docstrings, but at the same time I can see myself being much *more* annoyed at the proposed "just load it" solution in certain instances. Some packages, like it or not, do things that may be undesirable when you so much as load them.