Re: Inclusion of naquadah-theme

From: Julien Danjou
Subject: Re: Inclusion of naquadah-theme
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 23:02:02 +0200

On Sat, Jun 30 2012, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Well, first of all there are really only two cases that need to be
> handled: terminals that can handle #rrggbb, and 16-color terminals.  In
> my experience, 256-color xterms give a rather good approximation of the
> desired colors automatically, without manual color placement.

Clearly that fails with naquadah-theme. I wish I had more time to try to
fix this.

> As for matching color names to faces, the approach that we've used in
> tango-theme.el and others is to do something like this:
>
> (let ((class '((class color) (min-colors 89)))
>       ;; Tango palette colors.
>       (butter-1 "#fce94f")
>       ...)
>
>   (custom-theme-set-faces
>    'tango-dark
>    `(cursor ((,class (:background ,butter-1))))
>
> Apart from handling multiple terminals, naquadah-simple-face-to-multiple
> aims to do the same thing, right?

Yes, that's exactly what we're doing.

> I'm guessing the reason is that you feel that having explicit
> functions is more structured/less ad-hoc than the above let-form.

Not, that's because I ignored the syntax you used in tango actually.

> If that's the case, maybe the solution is to add a new macro to
> custom.el, which does something like this:
>
> (custom-theme-set-faces-with-color-names THEME TERMINALS COLORS FACES...)
>
> (custom-theme-set-faces-with-color-names
>   'tango-dark
>   ((term-1 ((class color) (min-colors 4096)))
>    (term-2 ((class color) (min-colors 16))))
>   ((butter (term-1 "#fce94f") (term-2 "yellow")))
>   (cursor :background butter)
>   ...)
>
> WDYT?

That would be really handy, indeed. Do you propose to do the patch
yourself, or should it?

--
/*  Julien Danjou
   ╭ Free Software hacker & freelance