Re: Sponsoring features in F/OSS projects

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Sponsoring features in F/OSS projects
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 20:38:50 +0900

Lennart Borgman writes:

 > My impression is that users would be willing to pay for quick fixes
 > that way, but not for complicated development. If I am correct, what
 > would that mean for long term goals?

Look up the history of cosource.com and sourceXchange.  It's not very
encouraging.

That's not to say that there are not ways to achieve these goals, but
I think that there are good reasons to suppose that direct
micropayments from users to developers are sufficient incentive, even
if the technology for making those payments has improved since
cosource and sXc.