Re: gl_MANYWARN_ALL_GCC() leads to many spurious warnings

From: Samuel Bronson
Subject: Re: gl_MANYWARN_ALL_GCC() leads to many spurious warnings
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 11:23:12 -0400

On Jul 8, 2012, at 10:15 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

On 07/08/2012 07:10 AM, Samuel Bronson wrote:

I don't really know how to go about investigating that, short of building GCC manually

I wasn't thinking of anything that drastic -- just
compile with gcc -E instead of gcc -c and look
to see what happened to the pragmas, something like that.

I just now tried with stock Ubuntu 12.04, i.e.,
gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3, with
its bundled GNUstep libraries, and did not observe
either the regex.c -Wunused-macros warnings or the
-Wformat-security warnings.  So this is not merely
a GCC 4.7.1 issue, for whatever that's worth.  I
did see a passle of other warnings.  Perhaps the
warnings that you're observing come up only after
you fix the ones I saw?

Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that the regex.c warnings are somehow related to my use of ccache...

I do want to focus on GCC 4.7.1, though.  In my experience
older GCCs are rife with bugs in this area, and it's not
worthwhile to contort code to avoid them.

Yes, of course; code should generally only be changed to accommodate such shortcomings when it doesn't involve gymnastics and doesn't create places for actual bugs to lurk.