Re: FFI in Emacs

From: Samuel Bronson
Subject: Re: FFI in Emacs
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:08:33 -0400

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 16:14:56 +0900
Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden

[SXEmacs FFI interface] should be fairly easily portable to Emacs on
platforms that have libffi.  It probably doesn't work on Windows

Why not?  Not because of libffi, I think.  libffi compiles out of the
box with MinGW; I did that when I needed to build Guile on Windows,
and my notes from that time indicate that the only libffi issue was a
rather minor problem with "make install".  And there are precompiled
Windows binaries available on the net.

It's wise to assume that code that hasn't been tried on Windows recently might need at least some porting, especially when it has anything to do with dynamic loading or calling conventions. Despite all the things the NT hackers picked up from *nix, NT does many things rather differently, including what they call DLLs, and the APIs for loading them dynamically. (Plus, it turns out libffi has nothing to do with loading; evidently, it only does calling.)