Re: FFI in Emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: FFI in Emacs
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 03:23:46 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > > Why not?  Not because of libffi, I think.

Because there is no support for Windows in SXEmacs at all, and last I
looked XEmacsen do not use the same technology for loading DLLs on
Windows that they do on Unix, so there is no provision whatsoever in
the SXEmacs code for actually loading the C code that the Lisp FFI API
allows you to call.

Come to think of it, I am assuming a "native" build with VC; maybe it
would work with the "Unix" code on Cygwin/Mingwin.

 > I see no need to assume anything when there are facts available.  I
 > revealed the facts known to me so that people won't need to assume.

I made no assumptions about how hard it is to build libraries on
Windows, only that as far as I know half the job has never been coded
for Windows, so AFAIK until it is done the SXEmacs code won't work.