Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: chad
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 10:50:57 -0700

On Jul 15, 2012, at 6:12 AM, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:

> And I concur.  Perhaps someone can explain to me the downside of having
> Yamamoto place his tree as a sibling to the ns tree. [...]
>
> That said, I use the ns tree daily and love it. [...]

This, I think, is the practical problem we keep running into.  The mac port has
never integrated with the development head well (in the 2+ years I've been
watching), and it doesn't look like it will live next to the ns port without
significant effort.  On the flip side, while some people seem to have a much
better experience with the mac port than the ns port, others (including myself)
have the opposite experience.

Right now, we're the closest we've ever been to being able to try the mac port
code with the current emacs (not the last release, but the current code), and
from what I'm hearing 2-4 people have made small attempts at integrating the
two and failed.  I'm sure that a dedicated effort would succeed, but it won't
be trivial, and it might not even be easy.  This really seems like a place
where arguing pre-code is not very helpful - let's get a working dev+mac tree
somewhere, and then figure out what to do with them.

Hopefully this isn't making things worse,
*Chad