Re: Why (substring "abc" 0 4) does not return "abc" instead of an error?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Why (substring "abc" 0 4) does not return "abc" instead of an error?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:46:46 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> We have general functionality when you want to ignore some errors, such
> as condition-case.

Also, I'm fine with

  (substring "abc" -1 1)
    => #ERROR

so using ̀€condition-case' would not help me distinguish
between the case above and (substring "abc" 0 4), which
is what I want.

I see the benefit of having

  (substring "abc" 0 4)
    => "abc"

in terms of simplifying Elisp writing -- and I still fail
to see the harm (but maybe Pascal will tell me where he has
been bitten by this.)

--
 Bastien