Re: insert-char as alias to ucs-insert

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: insert-char as alias to ucs-insert
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 21:13:02 +0200

() Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
() Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:58:45 +0300

   > So this would break code that depends on ‘ucs-insert’ throwing
   > this range error.  Is there a lot of code like that in the wild?

   If there is such a code, it is already broken, because a character in
   Emacs can really have values up to #x3FFFFF.

Perhaps that code was not interested in Emacs' abilities per se,
but in filtering valid Unicode characters...

   > Regardless, it feels wrong to discard this check.

   Can you explain why?

Not really.  It's just a gut feeling that the name of the function
(includes "UCS") should not need to have to be explained away in
the documentation:

(defun ucs-insert (CHARACTER ...)
  "Insert COUNT copies of CHARACTER of the given Unicode code point.
Actually, CHARACTER can also be up to #x3FFFFF, which is not properly
Unicode, but you get the idea [insert other convulsions here]..."
   ...)

I see in another message by Stefan Monnier the idea to declare
‘ucs-insert’ obsolete, reducing confusion for stickler programmers
(like me).  That's fine, too.