Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109131: Return more descriptive

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109131: Return more descriptive data from Fgarbage_collect.
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 02:33:11 -0400

Thanks, it's getting there.

> + ((CONS INTERNAL-SIZE USED-CONSES FREE-CONSES)
> +  (SYMBOL INTERNAL-SIZE USED-SYMBOLS FREE-SYMBOLS)
> +  (MISC INTERNAL-SIZE USED-MISCS FREE-MISCS)
> +  (STRING INTERNAL-SIZE USED-STRINGS USED-STRING-BYTES FREE-STRING)
> +  (VECTOR INTERNAL-SIZE USED-VECTORS USED-VECTOR-BYTES FREE-VECTOR-BYTES)
> +  (FLOAT INTERNAL-SIZE USED-FLOATS FREE-FLOATS)
> +  (INTERVAL INTERNAL-SIZE USED-INTERVALS FREE-INTERVALS)
> +  (BUFFER INTERNAL-SIZE USED-BUFFERS))

That's not regular enough.  Every entry in the list should have the
same shape (NAME SIZE USED FREE).  For buffers, (buffers SIZE USED) is OK
because that's like having FREE set to nil, but for strings (STRING
INTERNAL-SIZE USED-STRINGS USED-STRING-BYTES FREE-STRING) is not good,
we want instead to have 2 entries:

  (strings SIZE USED FREE)
and
  (string-bytes 1 USED FREE)

same for vectors, where we need one entry for vectors and another for
vector slots (and BTW, please keep it vector slots rather than vector
bytes: the SIZE part is there specifically so that code that requires
byte counts can do the conversion later).

And please add one last entry for the malloc data.

        Stefan