Re: split-window-{right, below} not interchangeable with split-window-se

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: split-window-{right, below} not interchangeable with split-window-sensibly
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:16:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Well, the SIZE arg is not too meaningful for split-window-sensibly as
>> it would mean either SIZE cols or lines...  So maybe just making its
>> WINDOW arg optional would suffice for almost all use-cases.
>
> That sounds reasonable, feel free to install such a patch,

Done so in revno 109136.

While testing I noticed that repeatedly doing

   M-: (split-window-sensibly) RET

in a fullscreen emacs on a widescreen display with just one window
didn't create something like

  +----------+-----------+
  |          |           |
  |          |           |
  +----------+           |
  |          |           |
  |          |           |
  +----------+-----------+

but it won't split any further after

  +----------+-----------+
  |          |           |
  |          |           |
  |          |           |
  |          |           |
  |          |           |

because `split-height-threshold' is set to 80 lines by default.  Is that
default reasonable and intended?  IMO, something like 20 lines would
make more sense...

With my quite big 24" display, a common font size, and no menu or tool
bars, I have at most 75 lines in a window in a maximized emacs.  This
large value basically forbids "sensible" vertical splits for almost
everybody.

Bye,
Tassilo