Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109157: Compact buffers when idl

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r109157: Compact buffers when idle.
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 07:54:13 -0400

>> As mentioned in my previous email, I think that the `compact' field of
>> struct buffer already provides most of the benefits and we don't need
>> the Elisp/idle part of this patch.
> I hope that someone will find elisp part useful too :-)

I can't think of any case where that would provide any noticeable
benefit (whereas I can think of cases where it just wastes resources).
The GC is run fairly regularly, also typically while idle, and does the
compaction.

So until you can provide some concrete and convincing numbers that show
some benefit, I'd ask you to remove that pat of your patch.

        Stefan