Re: Extra info about 109170

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Extra info about 109170
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 11:15:38 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 03:04:55 -0400
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> >     28.95%     emacs  emacs                  [.] mark_object
> >     15.03%     emacs  emacs                  [.] exec_byte_code
> >     11.77%     emacs  emacs                  [.] Fkill_buffer  ! OUCH !
>
> Surprising, indeed!
> Tho I guess it's due to with-temp-buffer and things like that.
> Thanks,

I'd appreciate if someone could explain why are we excited about 8%
speedup, and on top of that in massive byte-compiling (something that
can hardly be described as a frequent operation).  To me, it sounds
like a classic case of premature optimization: speeding up something
that takes 12% of the total time.  Maybe I'm missing something.