Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:12:29 -0500

>> Waiting until NS finds its star developer does not seem like a real strategy
>> to me

> Then don't wait.  Sit down and start hacking.  You will get a lot of support
> from everyone here, as soon as you start asking technical questions and seek
> advice how to attack specific problems.

I'm not a GUI developer, and don't plan on becoming one simply to fix my
editor.

>> Simply because non-OS X users don't seem to care what happens on OS X,
>> doesn't mean it should be this easy to ignore the problem.  It hasn't "gone
>> away" in a few years now, and I don't see why that's suddenly going to
>> change now.

> This line of argument won't get you anywhere, believe me.  Been there done
> that -- I waited for 6 years for Someone™ to come and incorporate the bidi
> reordering engine into Emacs redisplay, which I wrote and debugged back in
> 2002, but finally had to do it myself.  If I hadn't, Emacs would still live
> in unidirectional world today.

You probably know that I contribute to Emacs on a regular basis, mostly in the
Lisp areas.  The reason I'm complaining here about this, rather than doing
something more constructive, is that the problem lies far outside my area of
knowledge.

Plus, another developer, Yamamoto, *has* my solution.  I've been using it for
over a year now, and I'm happy with the way he has solved my issues for the
release versions of Emacs.  So, I'm arguing for inclusion of his work, not for
you to fix something for me.

If we can get NS fixed, great; if we can get Mac-port merged, great; either
path would allow me to become an active contributor gain to development on
trunk.

>> When in a scratch buffer, if I enable flyspell-mode, I can type fast enough
>> that Emacs can't insert the characters as quickly as I can type.
>>
>> It's this last problem that makes the NS port entirely unusable to me.

> Then attack this one first.

> For starters, flyspell.el is not supposed to do anything until it sees that
> you completed a word.  So as long as you type letters with no whitespace or
> punctuation, the slowdown should be minimal to non-existent, and the
> external speller program is not involved.  Do you still see significant
> slowdown while typing a single long word?  Or does it get slow only as soon
> as a word is completed and flyspell starts talking to the speller?

Ok, these are great questions.  First off, I pulled the -g -O0 thing from my
'emacs-build' script, which I've been using to build trunk lately.  The same
problem happens if I use -O3, with no other flags.  Also, for the -O3 build, I
only use the --with-ns flag, nothing else.

I'm rebuilding my trunk version now, and will do some more tests.  I'll be
back when I have some more concrete results.

John