Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 17:36:33 +0900

>> I hope someone can try and tackle it, e.g. starting by comparing
>> the approach used currently in the NS port compared to the X, Gtk,
>> Windows or Mac ports, so as to devise a plan.

> I have a plan to do more or less what Gdk does on OSX, use lower
> level (Core Foundation) API:s. The NS-port has many special things
> (resizing, redrawing and more) that depends on how things are done
> now, so it isn't just a replacement of a few functions.

> I haven't looked at the Mac port, but if it uses CF for the event
> loop, code may be reused from there.

The Mac port uses CF for that purpose only on older versions of Mac OS
X.  For newer versions, it uses Grand Central Dispatch instead:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-01/msg00035.html

I'm not sure about the recent situation, but I remember neither of
them was (widely, at least) available on GNUstep.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden