Re: Emacs Webapp/Plugin

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Webapp/Plugin
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:58:02 -0400

    Someone tell me again why it is a bad idea to develop a Chrome/Chromium
    (browser or Chrome OS) plugin that is essentially just the basic Emacs bits
    that we know and love?

For one thing, I am concerned people might use it in Chrome, which is
nonfree software with a universal back door.  If that caught on, it
would be a disaster in terms of our primary goal: giving users
freedom.

    The underlying premise is that there are no "desktop" apps available on
    this imagined system, just web apps and browser plugins.

That IS a disaster, in terms of users' freedom.  It pushes users
into total dependence on servers.  We must oppose it, not accept it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation