Re: Refactoring in Emacs (was: Note on 109327)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Refactoring in Emacs (was: Note on 109327)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:06:33 +0300

> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:42:44 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > Btw, can't we have in Emacs a feature that would allow such
> > refactoring?  The replacements don't seem too complex to me.  Adding
> > this to Emacs will both allow getting rid of an external tool, and be
> > a valuable addition to Emacs abilities.  WDYT?
>
> IIUC real refactoring of C should imply preprocessing and full
> syntactic analysis

Why is that?  Can you give a couple of examples?

Even if a full-fledged refactoring engine does need that, we could
have a somewhat limited one that doesn't, could we?  AFAICS, the
refactoring you did until now were all quite simple.

> so, I'm thinking about GCC plugin.

Why do we need a GCC plugin?  What kind of information is needed from
the compiler?

> Nevertheless, I suppose that it should be possible to build
> simple refactoring engine on top of cc-mode, and such an engine
> may provide basic features like intelligent renaming of identifiers
> or tweaking function arguments.

That would be very good, I think.

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:35:35 +0200
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> http://cedet.sourceforge.net/srecode.shtml
>
> The idea is that the two CEDET tools, Semantic and SRecode can cooperate
> to provide such features, I think.

Emacs has some of both; is what we have not enough?